Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Man with A Dream

Thomas Jefferson- Gentlemen, as you may know, I have a dream of expanding my great country from sea to shining sea. As you all know, during 1801, I sent Robert Livingston to France, to negotiate for land. He needs some help negotiating with Minister Barbé-Marbois. That is why today, January 1803, I have decided to send the honorable James Monroe to France.

*People chatter and cheer for their friend James Madison.*

James Monroe- Thank you very much Mr. Jefferson. Do not worry, I will make sure that Mr. Livingston and I return with all of the land you want, if not more.

Thomas Jefferson- I'll hold you to that. In the meantime though, you should prepare to depart for your long journey to France.

James Monroe- Just out of curiosity sir, about how long does it take to reach France by boat?

Thomas Jefferson- Hopefully, you shall arrive there by the twelfth of April.

James Monroe- Thank you very much. I will get what I need now, so good day to you all.

*Everyone cheers and wishes Monroe good luck, and to arrive and return safely.*

James Monroe- I sure am excited about going to France. The thought of expanding the nation that I live in will make me feel as if I have done well. I must get ready quickly though, for I cannot be late for something as important as this. Jefferson will be proud!

*April 12Th 1803*

James Monroe- I cannot believe that I am finally here, in the land of the French! I will fulfill my promise and make my nation proud!

Robert Livingston- Well hello there James!

James Monroe- Hello Mr. Livingston!

Robert Livingston- Just follow me and I will take you to the building in which we will negotiate with Minister Barbé-Marbois.

James Monroe- Very well then.

*Along the way, Mr. Livingston informs James Monroe of what has happened so far. He tells him the great news, the France has decided to enlarge their offer to the whole territory of Louisiana. James Monroe is filled with anticipation, but calms down quickly, because he knows that he should not get too giddy at an important time like this. After a short amount of walking, Robert Livingston, followed by Mr. Monroe, makes his way into a building and finds himself next to Minister Barbé-Marbois.*

Minister Barbé-Marbois- Well hello there, I am assuming that you are Mr. Monroe.

James Monroe- Yes, you have heard correctly my good fellow, but let us not forget the reason that we are here.

Minister Barbé-Marbois- Very well, let us begin with the price of the Louisiana territory. My lord, Napoleon Bonaparte has set the price of 15 million dollars for the whole territory of Louisiana.

Robert Livingston- Fifteen million, isn't that rather expensive?

Minister Barbé-Marbois- My lord has a short temper, so it would be wise to take this great offer while you can. You will never get another offer as good as this one, of that I assure you.

James Monroe- *Whispering to Robert Livingston* Hey Robert, I think that we should take deal while we can. If we mess up, Thomas Jefferson will be really mad. Expanding this country is his dream, and he would be very angry if we didn't help him accomplish that. Besides, Minister Barbé-Marbois has a point, this offer is amazing.

Robert Livingston- *Still whispering with Monroe* Well, you do make a good point, but I still have a feeling that we could get him to offer us a lower price.

Minister Barbé-Marbois- Well, have you decided on anything?

Robert Livingston- We would like a lower price.

*Minister Barbé-Marbois and the others discuss for quite a while. Due to all of their arguments, Napoleon Bonaparte threatened to take back his offer. Out of the fear of losing a great deal, they quickly settled for the price of 15 million dollars.*

*Some months later...*

Thomas Jefferson- Great job you two, I commend you for helping me get one step closer to achieving my dream! You two really did well!

Robert Livingston & James Monroe- Thank you very much Mr. Jefferson.

*Needless to say, many great things happened after the Louisiana Purchase. Many people disagreed with what happened, but many more were pleased. After time, everything settled in and our great nation was formed. Be thankful to Jefferson, because if he didn't buy all of that land, some of us might not be here today, but rather some other part of the world!*

No comments: